[nagdu] [ requirements to go to the UK

Katherine Lawson kate.a.lawson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 18:07:05 UTC 2011

Hi Gary,
I'm in the UK with my guide right now, so I could tell you a bit about it.
You must plan early. You and your vet should start the procedure 7
months before you intend to fly.  This is mostly because of the rabies
vaccine and blood titer which must be taken to get the Rabies Antibody
Titer for Export Animals certificate. An international microchip will
need to be placed in your dog's shoulder as well, the US one most
guides come with will not be sufficient in the UK. The week before
your flight, you need to return to the vet so they can apply topical
flea and tick preventative, and and other vacs your dog is due for.
After that's done, you can pick up the International Health
Certificate from your vet. The day before you fly, you need to get the
certificate stamped by the vet on staff at the airport. The office we
went to was near the airport, not in it. Your vet will let you know
where the office you need to go to is. The paperwork cost me around
$350 to get, not cheap, but I was going away for 5 months and needed
my guide to come.
Hope that helps!

Kate