[nagdu] article: GDB Project

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 14:22:55 UTC 2011

Hi, all,
Just want to ask out of curiosity if GDB has confirmed this plan already?
*Just curious*
For those who have already seen this from the GDB newsletter, I appologize
if you're seeing it twice.
Got this article from another list I'm on and thought it was worth sharing.
Bibi, husband Dale, retired Pilot Dogs
guide dog/medical alert service dog son Odie
and hopefully new four-legged furry mystery soon to be guide dog
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 6:08 PM
Subject: article
***
2012 Client Training and Class Options
After much anticipation, we are delighted to confirm plans to build a new,
state-of-the-art student residence building on our San Rafael campus,
scheduled for completion in the spring of 2013.
The current dormitory is scheduled for demolition in early 2012. In order to
provide a seamless transition and maintain our quality services during the
fifteen months of construction all classes in California will
be hosted from a local hotel, Inn Marin, located a few miles north of the
San Rafael campus in the town of Novato.
In 2012, during construction, the San Rafael campus will offer 20 classes,
12 two-week classes for first-time students or retrains and eight three-week
classes for first-time students or retrains depending on individual client
preferences.
Two-week classes will consist of six students with a two-to-one
student-Instructor ratio, while three-week classes will consist of nine
students with a three-to-one student-Instructor ratio. Our Oregon campus
will continue to offer 24 two-week classes with a two-to-one
student-Instructor ratio for first-time and retrain students during this
same time period.
Guide Dogs for the Blind will occupy 14 single rooms within a separate wing
of Inn Marin, a beautiful, single story, ranch style hotel.
Amenities within each guestroom include: a bathroom with shower, a
television, wireless internet access, refrigerator, and plenty of space to
comfortably accommodate a guide dog. The front door of each room accesses a
beautifully landscaped courtyard with aromatic fruit trees, walking paths,
and a swimming pool. Each room has a backdoor that will access a parking lot
that will be transformed into a safe, shaded, privately enclosed
leash-relieving area that will facilitate a student conveniently stepping
out of their room into the relieving area, very similar to how the new San
Rafael student residence relieving area is designed.
Two of the 14 rooms will be transformed into a kitchen and a dining room
where our current dormitory staff will prepare and serve the same
high-quality meals. The hotel has also graciously agreed to allow our
dormitory staff to assume responsibility for all housekeeping duties.
Additional rooms will accommodate the needs of our instructional, nursing
and residence advisor staff.
In California, class training will continue to take place predominately in
the same areas of San Rafael and San Francisco, and we will continue to
customize our program to meet the individual needs of our students. Due to
the success of our two-week program for first-time students in Oregon over
the past 18 months, we are very pleased and excited to offer this option to
first-time students in San Rafael starting in 2012.
Guide Dogs for the Blind will continue to have graduations following each
class, the location of which will be confirmed soon.
Guide Dogs for the Blind and Inn Marin have enjoyed a close working
relationship over the past several years and we look forward to this new
association. You can visit the Inn Marin website at
www.innmarin.com