[nagdu] conventions and dogs

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 12:40:10 UTC 2011

I probably haven't read all of the messages on this topic, but I will say that every conventio to which I've traveled since getting a dog, I have taken the dog. I go to my room when possible to give it down time, if the elevator lobby is too squishy, we step aside and wait even though it isn't always convenient, sometimes I've gone a little early so that I can learn the hotel a little better. I like this best. It is also helpful if you go with someone who is sighted who can help you target certain places right off so that you pattern to them faster, but it isn't a must. I don't keep late nights with my dogs much. They are tired at the end, but they recover quickly, and mostly they have responded very favorably to the extra work, seeming to feel really important. Lots of praise is importance; also, some of our stress sometimes comes from our own when we are lost or the like, so somtimes even when we are, I think we have to say, "Good girl/boy", and ruffle their ears and pet just a little.
Cindy Lou