[nagdu] a cane and dog discussion

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 22 20:27:15 UTC 2011

Hi Dan:

You pretty much have it. In my case, it wasn't that the cane wasn't working for me but several things lined up to  make it feasible to get a dog. The one key mobility issue I was having was being sure to ccross streets in a straight line. I  have RP and used to be able to consistently see the cross walk lines. This has changed so that was the mobility issue I hoped to resolve with a dog. Oh, the other was to allow me to walk fast and not worry about running into people. I'm not sure I've achiefved this one yet with Bogart but we are working on it.

the other things were two fold. First, my girlfriend really wanted to get a dog. If she was successful she'd want alittle dog and, no offense intended, I really don't like little dogs. Also, living in apartments  meant not being able to have a dog. Lastly, I've finished university and settled in a pretty good job so have a fairly stable living situation.

I enjoy dogs and thought it would be great if I could get a dog who would help me out when he was working but also be a great addition to Susan and my life.

I still use my cane for when i go to music jams or my bands gigs for example but certainly enjoy how a dog adds to my mobility.

I certainly see benefits of canes as well since they allow direct contact with your environment and don't have days when they are working really slow or leaping out of your hand to tap other dogs or nice people. <chuckle>

People need to really weigh what it takes to look after a dog but if you're good with that and can see a dog  fitting into your life style then it is pretty fun.

Gary