[nagdu] [Flagdu] what the NFB Should Do!

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 23 20:56:54 UTC 2011

Yeah, I'm pretty new to be told that kind of crap all the time, so I
just keep on getting real mad and obstinate.  But I started noticing way
too early on how often the constant battery would affect my thinking and
decision-making, even though i know better!  I am amazed -- and fairly
weary -- by how much work I have to put in just to keep myself from
starting to assume all those negative things about myself just because
I'm blind.

That experience does give me a greater appreciation for anyone who has
been told that from childhood on for just getting up in the morning!
Especially from my own age range and on.  I realize that whatever the
pros and cons of progressive vision loss, with the crossover to using
noticeable adaptive methods and tools, the biggest benefit to me over my
lifetime until earlier this century has been that people weren't
treating me like I was blind! Also, driving and reading print a page at
a glance provided many opportunities to go, do, learn which are more
difficult and time-consuming now.  So that's something I have benefited
from especially in the context of my own generation.  But i thought the
way girls and women were treated then was bad and oppressive... Then I
picked up a new skinny white friend in the 21st century, when women can
do stuff like think and make decisions officially, and discovered what
*real* oppression is like.  Then I started learning how much better
things are now!  Yikes!  Well, they're getting better all the time,
because we're all just soldiering on together and each in our way, so
the adventure continues.

Still, I can't truly grasp some of the attitudes of blind people toward
blindness, towards other blind people and towards themselves,