[nagdu] dog breeds?

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Tue Nov 8 05:34:17 UTC 2011

I've had shepherds and Labs and enjoy both breeds.  I would consult a dog
breed book to give you the general deal on the breeds.

Shepherds are wonderful and loyal dogs who can be a challenge to work.
Generally, they like to "push the envelope" and you have to be smarter than
them and have the ability to anticipate what they may do.  You can't let
your mind wander and become inattentive to them or they'll pull something on
you just because they can! LOL!  Many tend to have a fairly strong pull and
like to walk fast.  I say "many" because there are some very laid back
shepherds who think they're Labs!

Labs are also a strong and sometimes strong willed dog.  Many are very
mellow and take a "whatever you want, I'm fine with that" attitude.  Some
are very active and bombastic and want to be EVERYONE'S friend.  There tend
to be more of these or Lab/Golden retriever crosses because most people are
able to handle this breed.  However, all dogs need a consistant, fair
handler to enjoy working these breeds.

Occassionally, you might see other breeds used like Boxers and Dobies.
Seeing Eye uses shepherds, Labs, Lab/Golden crosses, and some full Golden
retrievers.

Go to TSE with an open mind and you'll learn to work with your new dog.  Put
in the required work in beginning the bonding process and follow what the
instructors say in how to handle YOUR dog - they most likely trained it and
know that dog more than you at the point of your training.  It will take a
six months to a year in finetuning your relationship with the dog when you
get home.

HTH,

Lyn and Landon