[nagdu] New guide dog school

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Nov 19 02:32:27 UTC 2011

I spoke with the founder of Gallant Hearts on the phone several years
ago.  she is very knowledgeable about dogs.   She has been breeding
Dobermans for a long while.  she has been working guide dogs since the 60's.

Honestly I'm excited to see what happens with Gallant Hearts.  the main
interest for me is that they will have Dobermans and Boxers as two of
their main breeds.  That alone wins them many points in my book!  They
are also offering home training as a standard not an exception.

they are still a ways away from actually placing dogs.  I think they
have just started puppies into puppy raiser homes within the last few
months.  They are currently looking for a trainer. It will be many years
before they are well established.  I am comforted that they are very
open about what they are doing.  Every program had to start somewhere.
In the past few years I'm thinking there have been 2 or 3 guide dog
programs close their doors.  It doesn't surprise me too much that a new
one is just starting up.

I'm not sure what to think about the co-ownership thing.  I know that it
is fairly common among show dogs, but I honestly have no idea how it
will work with a guide dog.

The founder is also very opposed to treat training.  I happen to be a
big fan of clicker.  I wish they were more open to operant conditioning
training methods.   So for me that is a negative.

She plans on using half check collars on all the dogs.  I like this.
It's what I use on Monty.  The founder feels that dogs should not be
issued with prong collars or head collars because it shows that the dog
needs more training.   I'd tend to agree with this.  There are always
exceptions, but for the average guide dog handler I think it's
reasonable to expect that the dog be easily handled without a lot of
mechanical means.

Anyway I'm watching to see how things progress.  As of right now I would
consider this school as an option for my next dog, if I decide not to
owner train again.

Julie