[nagdu] guide dog schools

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Oct 15 23:34:37 UTC 2011

Hannah,

It's entirely up to you which school you choose and whether you obtain
ownership of your dog.  We've discussed ownership quite a lot on the
list.  I feel very confident in saying that ownership or lack of
ownership doesn't have any effect on the services you will receive when
you get home.  Ownership of the dog doesn't mean that you can't return
the dog if it doesn't work out.  Follow up services with a trainer will
be available at the same rate that program provides regardless of
ownership status

 From memory:
The Seeing Eye gives ownership at graduation
Guide Dogs for the Blind offers the opportunity to apply for ownership
after one year
Guideing Eyes for the Blind you can apply for ownership after two years
Leader Dogs offers ownership after two years, not sure if it's automatic
or an application
Guide Dog Foundation offers several options at the completion of
training, ownership or custody, almost always it is the choice of the
graduate
Guide Dogs of America grants ownership at graduation

and I cannot remember anything about Southeastern, Guide Dogs of the
Desert, Pilot, Freedom, Guide Dogs of Texas, or any of the other really
small schools.

Financial assistance is something I know little about.  We haven't
discussed that very much on list.  We have discussed yearly cost to keep
a guide dog in good health.  I remember I took inventory of my expenses,
but at the moment I'm drawing a total blank.  Maybe I need more coffee?
*smile*

HTH
Julie