[nagdu] Blind woman's guide dog missing in Portland

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 11:56:19 UTC 2011

Blind woman's guide dog missing in Portland

Reported by: Kacey Montoya Email: kmontoya at koin.com

Published: 10/15/2011

Dizzy the guide dog was hit by a Jeep in downtown Portland on Thursday, Oct.
13, 2011. His owner said he ran off scared and has not been seen since. Joy
Horner watched her guide dog, Dizzy, get hit by a Jeep in downtown Portland
last Thursday and she hasn't seen him since.

Horner is legally blind and adopted the full blood boxer about six months
ago to train as her guide dog since her vision has been deteriorating.

Dizzy is a male, one year old fawn-colored boxer, not neutered.

Horner said she was on the corner of Southwest 12th Avenue and Market Street
last Thursday, her boyfriend and Dizzy were across street.

When Dizzy saw Horner from across the street he ran across the intersection
toward her as a black Jeep was pulling around the corner.

The Jeep hit Dizzy head on sending the dog bouncing onto the curb, then
running away from the area scared.  Dizzy was last spotted on Southwest 14th
Avenue near Montgomery Street.

Horner suspects Dizzy may be in the West Hills or Goose Hollow area, but she
isn't sure, and doesn't know how badly he is injured.

Horner has had two corneal transplants since she started losing her vision
about seven years ago.

"One of the things that hurts me the most is that he was hurt because he
loves me so much because he wanted to do what we've been training him to
do," Horner said.

Dizzy was wearing a green vest and a black and gray harness. He was also
wearing a leather collar with a blue stripe that has an identification tag
with Joy Horner's phone number on it, and Dizzy is microchipped.

If you have seen him call KOIN Local 6 at 503-464-0614 or email us at
news at koin.com.

Source:
http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/story/Blind-womans-guide-dog-missing-in
-Portland/kDoP5PZw4kqYtQIzmvhnpQ.cspx