[nagdu] dental care and raw feeding

Sam Hogle smhogle at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 19:34:12 UTC 2011

Hi Robert. As for the tooth brushing, as you've probably noticed, there
are many different opinions about what method is best. As for the
toothpaste, there is no right or wrong answer. It all depends on what
the dog will let you do. For instanse, I can't use any flavored
toothpaste with Mason because he spends all his time trying to eat it
and won't let me do any brushing. However, there are some dogs who are
more cooperative if the paste is more appealing. I'm sure toothbrushes
are more affective than the wipes. However, seeing as I have a
headstrong golden who does not like stuff being stuck in his mouth,
wipes are the only thing I've had luck with. In our case, I figure that
a good cleaning with a wipe is more affective than a battle with a brush
where nothing is accomplished other than toothpaste being smeered on my
pants. Also, it's good to only use the finger brushes as the regular
toothbrushes can poke a dog in the eye if he or she is not cooperative.
Now for the food. Bones are definitely a good alternative if your dog
does not tolerate tooth brushing. There are tons of bones at petshops
that get the job done. It's true that raw bones are great, but seeing as
butchers are not legally allowed to sell raw food for dogs, they can be
hard to come by. I've heard that there are some places you can order the
food from, but I don't have the info on it. You can buy already made raw
food at petshops if you want to put your dog on that diet. However, it's
pretty expensive. When I tried it out with Mason, it cost me about $30
per week. As a college student, that was something I could not authord
to do. Also, the diet can be high maintinansed since the food has to be
kept in the freezer and each meal has to be fawed out. If you're
interested in learning more about the raw food stuff, I can put you in
contact with a friend of mine who has done a lot of research on it and
is way more informed than I am. Also, if you want to know what's in your
dog's food, many food websights have a list of ingredients so you can
select the diet that would be best for your dog even if it doesn't
involve going raw.
As for being omnavors, that's a myth. It's true that dogs are fine on
that type of diet. After all, we have had them on that type of diet for
a long time. However, in the wild, wolves only hunt for their food. So,
like people, dogs have an adaptable digestive tract.  Hope this helps.
Sam and Seeing Eye Dog Mason