[nagdu] Churches

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Apr 6 00:44:08 UTC 2012

Hi Margo,
I think we can reach out to these religious communities like Islam to work
with them to figure out how their blind brethern can participate in their
faith with their guide dogs.  This really needs to be done by other muslims.
If we do too much, they can see us as trying to tell them how to live their
faith - isn't that what is happening in the world today with the Islam vs
the Christians?  You know, like whites telling blacks how to live.  I think
NAGDU has been in contact with an Imam over the issue of guide dogs in
muslim cabbies' vehicles on the job.  This has to be approached carefully as
religious beliefs are a touchy issue with many people when we talk about
their dogmas.

Not knowing very much about the practise of Islam or how things are done in
the mosques, I don't know but it is worth it for blind, guide dog using
muslims to talk to their Imams as they have been living in their faith.

I think this has to be approached by careful, kind persuasion because our
laws cannot force guide dog access in houses of worship where the believers
have their laws about dogs.

Christian churches are different because they are from a faith that our
country was originally based on and christianity has no tenants against or
for dogs - they're neutral on them.

What NFB or ACB could do is to educate Christian churches about blind people
and guide dogs.  With all our school education activities, we may have
overlooked our churches.

Lyn and landon