[nagdu] How would you respond?

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Tue Apr 24 12:57:27 UTC 2012

I think the first response from me as a handler in that situation would be
to file all appropriate police reports for a dog attack. I'd also contact my
own school right away for help with any behaviors. I would probably contact
the school from which the other dog came, but making them responsible for
all legal bills would depend on who owned the dog. Remember, if we have full
ownership, we are responsible for things like this. I suppose an
enterprising lawyer could also find fault and go after the school, but
initially, it's the handler who is responsible, accidental or not.

As the service provider, I'd have a policy that mirrors the ADA by stating
that any dog who causes such an incident, with defined parameters, may be
banned from the facility. Doesn't mean you bar the handler, just the dog. If
it's a residential facility, so be it. Same thing could legally happen in a
hotel if a dog attacked a guest or staff person.

It's really no one's business if the offending handler gets another dog or
not, unless of course it can be proven that he or she caused this behavior
in multiple dogs.

The whole situation is very unfortunate for all involved. I'd be really
curious to see what the service provider does in this case.
Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeninems