[nagdu] howling was RE: Amazing dogs?

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 24 20:00:21 UTC 2012

Gary,

So with Mitzi. I think once or twice when she was being really obstinate
about small pet dogs in Home Depot, I had her up to three repetitions of
the push ups, and ended up repeating them several times. How
embarrassing to have one guide with other pet dogs around and to have
yours be the one that is acting up.

Anyway, she went into oppositional defiance mode when I sternly insisted
on the first sit up, so... There was nothing for it but to go around the
store doing push ups in sets of three, along with a bit of other things
like turning around (only do this if you are absolutely positive you
know where your feet are and what is around you!), stuff like that. I
was beginning to consider the many benefits of just hauling off and
beating the dog the old-fashioned way.. Just kidding. Besides, with her,
it would just make her more stubborn. DD was shopping for things, so we
had time to work on push ups instead of navigation around a place like
Home Depot. /lol/ With everyone watching, naturally. I would hear their
footsteps stop to watch the circus. Then, when my stubborn stubborn
beast would comply and show some submission (she was lying!), I would
say good dog and everyone would chime in, "She *is* a good dog!). Joys
of guide dog training in dog-friendly Portland, I guess. Can't go
anywhere without a Greek chorus.

These days, I almost never have to do push ups. After that one time
where it was a battle of the wills until the very end, just one push up
does the trick. Well, I can feel her considering whether to keep
pushing, silly poodle! /lol/ But ultimately, I think, the push ups bore
her. They are no fun. She has better things to do. So... Off we go.
Well, it also helps that she grew up finally and doesn't have quite the
need to be snotty just for snottiness' sake.

She was being pretty obstinate at the beginning of this visit, probably
because of all the back and forth and the fact that she is living with a
puppy and a couple of really uptight, harried humans. /lol/ She isn't
getting her share of attention, so why should she pay attention to us or
be good? Well, that seemed to be the message. Now that we've been here
awhile, and I am taking her out on solo walks in harness at least every
other day, she is mollifed. Mostly. /smile/

So, that is two votes for push ups for poodles! /grin/

Tami