[nagdu] Registering my dog as a certified therapy dog?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Apr 25 13:14:42 UTC 2012

Lea,

I looked into doing therapy work with my first dog.  She would have been
very good at it.  anyway there are various organizations that
train/certify for therapy work.  I'm thinking the Delta Society is one
of the larger ones.  You might check with the hospice or the other dog
handler to see what is in your area. Lyn on this list does therapy work
and I'm sure  would be happy to share experiences.

Have you talked with the guide dog program you are attending about
wanting to do therapy work with your dog?  That's important.  Not all
dogs are suitable for the work.  Therapy is different than guiding.  The
base behavior expectations are similar, but the personalities of the dog
may differ a bit.  For example I like a guide who is pretty aloof, not
wanting to visit every new person he meets.  He would not make a good
therapy dog.  Many guide dogs are quite happy to meet and greet new
people, so that could work out well.  I think you would also want a
fairly calm dog.  You definitely don't want a bouncy, overly excited dog
greeting medically fragile folks.  Anyway just some things to ponder.

Oh, the CGC is the Canine Good Citizen test.  You can read about it on
line.  The therapy program you go through will most likely want you to
complete this test.  It shouldn't be any problem for your guide to pass it.

The hospice program sounds really good.  It is so refreshing to find
organizations like that, that welcome everyone openly and honestly.

Julie