[nagdu] Food was Re: Wanting to Chase all moving animals, especially small ones...

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 25 22:15:32 UTC 2012

Rox and Tracy,

I vote for your theories. That it is the context more than the shape
that determines whether the dog will take to begging in restaurants if
you slip a tidbit under the table at home. /smile/ Certainly that is
true with Mitzi. Whew! DD is impossible to train in proper guide dog
behavior sometimes. /lol/ I confess that every now and then, I can't
resist slipping a nugget or two to the precious... Although I usually
leave it up to DD to be the careful and considered giver of table
food... He knows what to do, what not to do and how to do it, so why
keep fretting? I do the dog feeding and use training treats, so that's
my role. Our house mate doesn't give anything, but the dogs still adore
him. /grin/

Anyway, that's what works in our house and for my guide. In fact, we
have three different dining venues in our house, informal to usual to
formal, and the dogs have 3 sets of table manners depending on
formality. The formal manners are like restaurant manners for Mitzi, so
she is teaching Zay about that. /smile/

Knowing what *not* to feed of people food is important, though. Some of
it is processed or contains chemicals or spices or other ingredients
that are not good for dogs. And you don't want to do too much, for
health and weight. Etc., Well, we have  a pretty well defined list that
we humans follow, and if there is nothing dog safe, then they get no
table contraband. They seem fine with it, actually. Dogs ain't nearly so
stupid as some folks make them out to be. /grin/

So we've not taken to feeding the raw diet, and stick with a super
premium limited ingredient kibble. Usually Natural Balance Duck and
Potato, although here when we run out of food we get Taste of the Wild
Duck and Sweet potato, which the dogs like. So we will probably take to
feeding that full time once we move, since we would have to special
order the Natural Balance. /smile/ For treats, I've been using Zuke's
Natural Minis, salmon flavor. I started with them for being low in
calories for working with Daisy who had some weight issues for awhile
but needed lots and lots of yummy food reward to switch her to positive
training, which meant working through layers of anxieties. Poor dog! DD
had been doing something of the same thing with table treats to teach
her table manners, but I was doing a high level behavioral work, so
low-cal treats it was. /smile/ I've thought of changing back to
something like the dehydrated lamb lung I used to use or something else
for Mitzi and the pup... But they love the minis, so why change?
Occasionally, I use baby carrots, but Miss Finicky Poodle insists that
they be fresh out of the fridge... Sheesh! I sometimes use different
treats of a more cracker consistency but get tired of crumbs in my
pockets. The Minis are conveniently of the right consistency and size to
fit in my pocket without breaking into crumbs. /lol/

DD also shares fresh carrots and potato and other veggies and some
fruits with them when he is cutting things up. . The sit attentively
without begging or leaping on counters or any of the bad things that are
supposed to ensue because of that. In fact, both dogs are good in the
kitchen without getting shares. They just love to watch the cooking or
the putting away of groceries or even -- and this utterly fascinates Zay
-- putting dishes in the dishwasher or taking them out and putting them
away. /lol/ She doesn't do anything bad or get her nose into the clean
dishes... She watches close every little thing about it.

So the dogs are free in the kitchen while cooking is going on, and they
happily supervise or sample the fresh vegetables or maybe even bites of
raw meat... So long as they remain well-behaved and well-mannered and
their weight stays where it should, I can't see the problem. Since Zay
will test the boundaries more as she goes through that phase of
adolescence, I'll probably end up restricting her now and then until she
gets the point. So far, though, she's good in the kitchn and helps her
dad a lot. Under Mitzi's supervision, of course! /lol/

Tami