[nagdu] getting along with other guide dogs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Apr 27 13:24:50 UTC 2012

Julie,
If we were sitting at a table together, I wouldn't let Ben stretch out to
sniff Monte.  I want him firmly contained by me while we're sitting.  But,
if you and I happened to meet outside the restaurant, and the dogs wanted
to sniff each other, and you were OK with that, then I think I'd let it
happen.  But, if either dog didn't want it, or you didn't want it, I would
stop Ben doing it, and expect you to stop your dog doing it.  And I
wouldn't let it go on very long, if it did happen.
What I do seems similar to what Tami describes--it depends on the situation.
Now I'm remembering the TSE reunion.  When we first came in, Ben really
wanted to say Hi to the other guide dogs, but I wanted him to not be a
distracted nut, so I made him behave.  I think everyone else was in the
same situation.  Benny did cop a few sniffs, but then he settled down and
was a good boy.
But meeting friends and meeting strangers is different.  I guess I let Ben
meet and greet friends' dogs, but not strangers', unless they want that.
Tracy