[nagdu] Discrimination in Campus Housing

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 28 11:54:52 UTC 2012

Hannah,
    Student housing is covered by the Fair Housing Act, not the Americans
with Disabilities Act. Under the FHA, you must request a reasonable
accommodation from the housing provider. My recommendation is to write a
letter to the campus housing office stating that you are blind, your dog has
been trained to guide you, and that you are requesting a reasonable
accommodation under the Fair Housing Act. Campus housing is a hot topic with
the Department of Justice and Housing & Urban Development. I have attached a
joint statement for your information. If you have any further issues, feel
free to get in touch with me. My contact information is below my signature.
Fraternaly yours,
 iMarion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
813-626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG
HTTP://WWW.NAGDU.ORG