[nagdu] Question about crossing streets - hope this is guide dog related

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 19:33:37 UTC 2012

Cheryl,

My below email was not just for you, but directed to the list as a whole.
This is the NAGDU list, and although we all have in the past used guides,
use them currently, are interested in them, waiting to receive one, or need
them for our daily lives, is not up for debate. If we have in the past used
a long white cane, or use a long white cane now, or will in the future use a
long white cane in the future is not up for debate either. Which is better
between a dog or a cane is not in question here, as we all have our opinions
and views. Some of us can't use a long white cane, some of us use a long
white cane after our dogs retire, some of us use a long white cane at the
same time we work our dogs, its all up to our own preferences. We all have
different ways of being independent, and no one has the right to say which
is better for us or not. We determine our independence, no one else, nor the
NFB. We aren't even going to debate what the NFB calls independence, as
there are a lot of other emails list for that. Nor are we going to debate if
the NFB is right in what they call independence. Because as I said, we, all
determine our independence.

The thread was how do drivers see us? Which do they see better; a guide dog
or a person with a cane? Which do they take notice of better; a guide dog or
a person with a cane? Simple and straight.

If you say what you say is your opinion, then great. But making judgments on
much or little a person is independent because they do this or that is not
right.

Lets get back to the original thread, okay?

Marsha, Moderator