[nagdu] Diner Must Provide Access, Not Civility

Vanessa Lowery vlowery at dhr.state.md.us
Wed Aug 1 19:59:40 UTC 2012

If I don't need to use that specific business, I would probably avoid them in the future as well.  But if it is a business that offers something I cannot get somewhere else (something that I regularly need to purchase), I may have to put up with their crap.  But I would certainly spread the word around to folks that they treat certain customers rather rudely.

As for friends, I'm wht you.  just not going to let the attitudes of friends or relatives dictate how I run my life, and that includes my choice to use a guide dog.  They either accept the idea, or they don't.  If they don't, then relationships may have to end.  I don't need someone's friendship (be it a friend or relative) so badly that I will sacrifice my independence.  I don't tell them how to run their lives, and they certainly are not going to be allowed to do the same thing to me.

Vanessa Lowery, LGSW
Adult and Community Services Division
Adult Services Screening Unit
410-853-3550
VLowery at dhr.state.md.us

>>> "Lyn Gwizdak" <linda.gwizdak at cox.net> 8/1/2012 3:48 PM >>>
To me, I WILL have the SAME respect as ANYONE ELSE in a business or I won't
patronize them.  sorry, I will spend my green in a place that wants my
business, period.

If a person bases his or her friendsship with me on whether i have a dog or
not - well, don't waste your time.  A person is either my friend or not
regardless if I have a dog or not.  All of my friends and family have NO
problem with my dogs - they LOVE them!

I don't suffer idiots and foolishness.  Now, that said, if a friend has a
VALID reason that maybe my dog will not be comfortable at their place, I
will weigh that and decide what is best.  for instance:
* The Volunteer Coordinator for our blind center is allergic to dogs.  If I
need to go into her small office, I leave my dog on a down-stay just outside
the door and I leave the door open.
* A coouple of weeks ago, I went to the home of some people I know to make
buttons and signs for our Pride contingent.  They have two small dogs.
their home is a tiny San diego Craftman bungalow-style home.  I CHOSE to
leave Landon home and used my cane.  I'm glad I did because there was
absolutely NO place safe for Landon to  lay comfortable because the place
was wall-to-wall people and the two little dogs.
* If an event is to be held in a person's home, I will ask if there will be
a problem with the dog coming.  Someone in that hoousehold could have an
allergy or their pets who would not like to have Landon to play with.  I ask
out of respect for the person's own home environment.

Public places of business, now that's another ball of wax.  If I get rude
treatment, I will not only not patronize that place, I will let everyone
else know about it so they won't go there either. Hit them in the wallet
where it counts!

One day, about 12 years ago, I went into a store downtown and was treated
rudely and the cashier refused to serve me BECAUSE I was blind - never mind
the dog.  they took the people in line behined me and not me.  None of the
people thought it wrong for this to happen.  Well, I put my purchases on the
counter and walked out never to return.  I told all my friends about this
and they refused to shop there.  Well, the business is now OUT of BUSINESS
and some other place is there now.

DO NOT put up with second class treatment from anyone!  Respect yourselves
and demand the same treatment as a non disabled person gets.

I used to work in the public sector in food service as my Dad did.  we both
are of the opinion that a business must earn respect and patronage to stay
in business.  You treat the customer with respect and civility if you want
them to spend their hard earned money in your place.

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged and/or confidential. This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.