[nagdu] Guide Dogs And VA Facilities--what?!

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Wed Aug 8 19:42:11 UTC 2012

Dailyah,

I think another thing we as a general community have to do is to impress
upon everyone claiming a service dog the huge responsibility involved in
maintaining training and behavior standards. None of us just go to train
with a dog at a school and never think again about obedience, using the
commands we learned, etc. OK, it might seem that way to some, but if you
want your dog to continue to work well, you must keep doing obedience in
some form, maintain your expectations of good behavior and actually use the
dog as it was intended.

We all make it look easy and as society views us as having some sort of
privilege by being able to take our dogs with us, not recognizing that we
actually need our dogs to do things for us, they think that they can also
just bring a dog along and Voila! Or they can teach a dog a view basic
things and Voila! It's a service dog and oh, so it growls once in a while or
goes after another dog. They've seen those school dogs do that too, or it's
protecting them, or ...

I think we all really need to mount a concerted effort to preach to people
who not only owner train but who attend schools and work with private
trainers, that the only way we keep our access rights is to present those
well behaved working dogs who work.

OK, stepping down from that sop box. <grin>

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeninems