[nagdu] Thinking of getting a guide dog

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Tue Aug 21 18:52:18 UTC 2012

No issue with your pets.
You mention having a toddler and needing to care for him.
You have a couple options.
Since you're also married, your wife and/or grandma or some other family could care for your son while you're in training. Even if you get home training, you'll need another adult around to look after your son while you're learning how to use the dog.  You may be a dog person, but you've never used a dog as a guide so you will need to learn how to do that. It's like learning how to skate and play hockey. You may be good at one but not the other and you have to fully integrate the two. It's a lot of work and a lot of time, though if this is what you want, you can do it.

I used to have a guide dog, and don't anymore. I had a difficult time integrating the dog into my life once I had my daughter.  You may have a different experience because your son is older and because you're a guy. I'm convinced that does make a difference.

Something you will want to think about is the nature of relationship you want with your son and if a guide dog will fit well into that. It wouldn't with my daughter and me. We'd be fine with a pet dog though we don't have the bandwith now to make that happen

As for work, you can always get the time off. Whether you want to, and whether it is a good time for you professionally are two different questions that only you can answer.