[nagdu] Doberman guide dogs

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Dec 20 12:21:06 UTC 2012

John,

Here's what I know about Doberman's, which is from speaking with
Doberman owners and breeders.  I've never personally had one.

They are one person velcro dogs, meaning they aren't so interested in
meeting and greeting every new person they meet.  It doesn't mean that
they don't get along with people, just that they have a strong
preference to spend time with their family.

Dobermans are a working breed.  they were bred with a specific job in
mind and thrive when they have work to do.  They are also very
intelligent.  The combination suggests that they will not be happy as a
guide dog if the only place you go is down to the corner coffee shop a
couple times a week.

Some Dobermans are bred for protection.  I'm looking for breeders who
specialize in breeding for therapy, service and search and rescue work
because protection is not a desired trait in these careers.  Also how
the Doberman is raised and trained will make a huge difference in how
the tendency toward protection comes through.

Like any other breed they can have difficulty playing well with others.
One of the breeders I contacted said that they won't place a male in a
home with another male dog for this reason.  The next breeder I
contacted said this was only a problem with very specific Dobermans and
that generally speaking a neutered male raised and socialized well with
other dogs will get along just fine.  All the reading I've done leads me
to believe breeder number 2.  I didn't continue to investigate breeder
#1, but I would guess that she was focused on breeding the protective,
security oriented variety of Doberman.

Dobermans do have a negative reputation among the public.  I'm sure this
will be something to consider when choosing to work the breed.  If you
aren't comfortable with self advocacy and soothing or at least putting
up with people afraid of your dog, then it might not be the right breed
for you.  I am going to leave my puppy's ears natural.  They will be a
smaller version of a lab type of ear.  I prefer this look myself, but I
also think it will soften the appearance of the Doberman, hopefully
making him a bit less intimidating.

Julie