[nagdu] airline placement of dogs and bulkhead related issues

Michael Hingson Mike at michaelhingson.com
Thu Dec 27 04:58:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

Concerning the issue of flight crews having wiggle room with the ACAA
language, in reality, there still is no loophole.  Some airlines can try to
insist that our dogs must be by the window to prevent emergency exits from
rows.  If a guide dog is placed under the seat in front of us in a
non-bulkhead row even this issue mostly goes away since then the blockage is
no worse than people's feet being in the isle.

By the way, I believe the most important reason for not sitting in the
bulkhead at ANY TIME is a safety one.  Dogs sitting in bulkhead rows can
bounce around during turbulent conditions while dogs under the seat in front
cannot.  In addition, it is easier to control a dog confined in this manner
than one who has more room to move and panic in the bulkhead.  Even on small
short-range aircraft there is room to put most dogs under the seat in front
of us.  I always fly this way whether it be on Southwest, American, or any
other airline.  Flight crews do not actually have a say in the matter.

Best,

Michael Hingson