[nagdu] AT PILOT :)

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 10 05:06:14 UTC 2012

Hannah,

Oh, good for you for deciding what is best for you. I am glad you are on
the waiting list for the tech training program so that you can get that
under your belt before going to school, too!

If you don't know much about dogs, your trainer is your best friend
while you learn how to care for and then work with your new poodle.
Well, your trainer had better be your friend! /lo/ You will learn to
manage the dog's basic needs like food, water, bathing and grooming, of
course, as well as basic safety protocols. Of course, you will also be
bonding with and learning your dog, too, and beginning to get familiar
with walking with her/him guiding you.

So I'm a notorious questioner of rules for the sake of rules, but I also
have had plenty of experience with dogs... Many of the rules the
programs and trainers give their soon to be grads are to ensure that
those without prior dog experience will do well with their new partners
and that the partners will do well with them. So, while guide dog users
all over the country will faint that I am saying this... Learn those
rules and follow them.

Otherwise, remember that your dog is a living being, with feelings and
emotional needs as well as physical. Since it's a poodle, forget that it
is a dog. /lo/ It is a person, just ask it! Some poodles can be slow to
bond with a new human, but once it does... You belong to that poodle, no
question. /smile/ The secret key to poodles, I have heard and completely
agree, is to convince them that you are worth listening to and working
with. Once you click, that poodle will give you the world just to make
you happy. Thank the poodle graciously and respectfully /lol/

Of course, your trainer will know your particular poodle very well, what
motivates it, what signals it expects, etc. As you come to learn the dog
and your bond forms and deepens, it will become more natural.

Congratulations again!

Tami