[nagdu] Dog Deodorizing and other important things

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jan 15 15:32:36 UTC 2012

Mark,

You are doing everything correct in the cleaning and grooming
department.  I wonder if the food he is eating is causing the strong
odor?   Different dogs do better with different types of foods, no
grain, various meat sources, fiber content etc.  Even in the very
expensive high end foods dogs will do better with certain formulas.  The
breath smell might not actually be the teeth but in the saliva or
exhalation, making it a body chemistry issue rather than a hygiene issue.

If it is a dental issue, there are lots of products available to help
with that.  There are also millions of sprays, stick ups, candles,
carpet powders, oils, plug ins and every manner of pretty smelling
stuff.  I do use some of these products, but if the dog smell is really
strong your room will just smell like dog in the spring instead of
actually removing the dog smell.  Baking soda works well to neutralize
odors without adding additional smells.  If you can stash open boxes in
your room in inconspicuous places where they won't get spilled they
might help.  Baking soda works well on carpet too.  sprinkle it on and
vacuum it up just like the more expensive stuff.  When I notice the dog
smell in my home it is usually actually the bedding the dogs sleep on
and not the dogs.   I'm trying to think of other dog odor tips...if I
think of anything else I'll post it in another message.

Julie