[nagdu] Never worked a male before

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Jul 11 20:15:35 UTC 2012

Hi Shannon,
I've worked two males after a slew of females.  Honestly, there are no real
differences between the two sexes.  I usually ask for males because they
tend to be taller as that is what I need.

The only real thing to watch out for is when you releive him, DO NOT stand
real close to him or you will get your shoes peed upon! LOL!  I found that
out the hard way!  Some will squat like a female - almost and some will
raise their leg.  Just make sure it isn't YOUR leg he raises his on! Another
thing you might like to guard against is the dog lifting his leg on a pole
as you wait to cross a street.  One of my dogs did that once and got a
correction and had no more problem with that anymore.

Some unneutered males may pee in the house on furnature and stuff because he
is trying to take territory for himself.  Unneutered male canines in the
wild will do this to mark their territory like as if he were erecting a
fence around his place and putting a keep out sign on with his name on it.
To a dog, urine tells them alot about the dog who left it.  But I haven't
seen this problem in guides.

That's neat that you met your dog already!  No surprise like we get in class
when they hand out the dogs.  Good luck in your upcoming class.

Lyn and Landon