[nagdu] Introduction

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Jul 16 22:41:20 UTC 2012

Welcome!

Regarding water...with most of my dogs I have left water down for them
to drink as they please throughout the day.    When I first brought my
current dog, Monty, home, he would drink very large amounts of water.
It really concerned me, so I measured it out, but let him drink what he
wanted so I could figure out if it was too much.  He was drinking 12
cups per day.  That is a lot of water.   I measured out his water and
offered him smaller amounts throughout the day.  I only did that for a
few months.  He now has free access to water and does just fine.

Here's a link that sums up water and dogs.
http://www.dogster.com/dog-food/how-much-water-should-a-dog-drink

The short answer is about 1 ounce per pound of body weight.  More if
it's hot and you're active, less if you haven't done much on a Saturday
in January.

Also, if it's really hot and we need to be out, I offer water very
frequently, but smaller amounts and cool not ice cold.

HTH
Julie