[nagdu] Malaysia : Pushing for use of seeing-eye dogs

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 11:03:46 UTC 2012

Malaysia : Pushing for use of seeing-eye dogs

Friday, July 27, 2012 -

by Faizal Nor Izham

Location:

AMPANG

GIVING SIGHT TO THE BLIND : Kua (left) with his service dog Kendra and Ong
at the press conference regarding allowing the blind and their guide dogs on
public transportation - Pic: Arif Kartono

THE Malaysian Glaucoma Society (MGS) aims to one day use the service of
seeing-eye dogs throughout the country.

Collaborating with non government organisation Save One's Sight Mission (SOS
Missions), they plan to gather 100,000 signatures with a minimum RM10
donation each, to help set up Malaysia's first-ever guide dog-service
campaign this weekend.

"We aim to gather RM150,000 so we can get dogs to be brought in from the US,
Australia or Taiwan," said World Blind Union Asia Pacific president Kua
Cheng Hock yesterday.

"We also hope to eventually secure another 24 more from whichever country is
generous enough to contribute."

"Hopefully, the Malaysian guide dog-service will learn to breed golden
retrievers, labradors and German shepherds. Instructors can also be taught
to train eventual recipients on how to use their guide dogs properly," Kua
said.

He said in Singapore, the Environment Public Health Act was amended in 2006
to enable guide dogs to enter public places.

MGS founder Stevens Chan said Malaysia has over 30,000 blind citizens
registered as disabled persons with many more unregistered, especially in
rural areas, he added.

"It is difficult for blind Malaysians to be independent and lead normal
lives as there are too many restrictions on having guide dogs," Chan said.

"As Malaysia is a multi-religious community, we are willing to work with
various governmental and religious bodies to enable policies for guide dogs
to be allowed into malls, restaurants, hotels and work places. The campaign
may take many years and will be tough."

Meanwhile, Pandan MP Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat who was also present yesterday
pledged to advise SOS Missions to navigate towards allowing guide dogs into
public places.

"The issue will be raised among various transport ministries, as guide dogs
are still prohibited from entering trains, buses and trains. Although the
LRT does have certain facilities, it is still inadequate," he said.

"We will discuss this with the Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD), The
Selangor Islamic Department (JAIS), the Agricultural Ministry, Suhakam and
municipal councils," Ong said.

The two-day Dogs For Sight campaign event will be held this weekend at the
Desa Park City Sports Centre from 3pm to 7pm.