[nagdu] lamp shade returns

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 20 19:13:05 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
Yes, my subject line is weird.
Odie will unfortunately have to wear the Elizabethan collar when Dale and I are asleep at night time.
He's fallen back into his old habbit of licking himself tremendously, swallowing his hair in the process.
He threw up around 6:30 or 7:00 AM this morning.
Dale checked the vomit for anything major and nothing serious was found: except for foam from Odie's mouth and hair.
It was obvious that Odie hadn't drank any water for a while after midnight.
Dale and I try to make sure that Odie's dish is filled halfway with water and it's always refreshed.
Since our crazy four-legged furry kid started the hair swallowing and licking again, the E-collar returns.
I'm sure people will ask or wonder why I call it a lamp shade.
The collar does resemble the shape of a lamp shade cover.
It slips over the dog's head and lightly fits around the dog's neck.
The collar can be used as a training tool for positive reinforcement despite that it's normally used after surgery.
It's another training tool that can be used, but put back into the training tool box until next time.
Odie's stomach is doing better now and it's no longer irritated.
I wish I knew what would compell dogs to lick themselves.
I know the licking can be signs of stress, allergies or other things.
I originally bought the E-collar back when Odie had a real, bad skin infection that wouldn't go away because he continuously kept make it rougher.
Once the lamp shade came into play though, the skin infection finally did clear and heal up.
Happily, he hasn't had anymore since 2009.
I'm sure he'll get tired of seeing the lamp shade after a while and hopefully, he'll leave his old habbit alone.
Yes, I'll admit that the Elizabethan collar won't fix the problem, but at least, it will prevent him from continuously swallowing a good amount of hair pieces.
Bibi, husband Dale and son Odie
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf