[nagdu] Seeing Eye Dogs a Tough Breed in New York City

Ava Foster avapup.7 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 01:49:00 UTC 2012

That's a wonderful article! / I imagine if my Cocoa, a Lab, had been
school-trained, she'd likely have been placed with a city dweller. I
am not a big city person, but oh, is Cocoa a city dog! Subways, buses,
crowds, moving sidewalks, noise - they couldn't make her happier! /
The only thing she would have trouble with would be escalators - but
likely that comes from MY fear of her safety. I couldn't believe how
easily she took to all the mass transit and busy-ness of a large city
when I was training wth her! / My first guide, Jet, a Rough Collie,
would definitely not have liked working full time in a city; she loved
the chances we had to work out in the country, although she always was
afraid of horses. Cocoa is respectful, but not afraid. Jet came to me
from a working farm; I often wondered if she had been kicked or had a
bad experience with a horse before I had her. Ava