[nagdu] Embarrassing Guide Dog Handlers

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 10 04:38:16 UTC 2012

Hi, Marsha,
Back when I had my first guide dog Orleans, he had an indoor accident around the food court area in Park Meadows Mall.
It didn't help that a couple of kids started making unnecessary comments or noise  over the whole thing.
I had to nicely ask them to please keep their unnecessary comments to themselves.
The security guard made it worse off by saying, "Well, get the dog out of here."
I ended up speaking to another police officer in the mall on hand and he did repremand the guard for his inappropriate behavior as well.
The officer did agree with me the kids that were walking by didn't have to say anything or be inappropriate either.
All I can hope for that handler is to do the right thing by trying to figure out what is going wrong or if he is really not taking the dog seriously.
Here's another good one.
People were judgmental toward me when it came to Odie having to climb into the bath tub to pea in there instead of on the floor.
He had to go really bad one night and obviously couldn't get mine or my husband Dale's attention.
I've come across people who have commented on how well-behaved and calm my guides have been to others they've seen out on the street or in a public setting.
Real truth behind it all is in order for the guide dog team to work out, both dog and master have to work together and do their parts.
Another important piece is for both members of the team to teach each other nutural respect so the bond becomes strong.
*Smiles*
When people ask me continuously if my partner's in training, my response is, "He did go through training, but even after the major part is finished, you still have to keep up on daily so everything stays in tack."
Bibi