[nagdu] Ownership of guide dog

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 12:46:55 UTC 2012

It is a shame to see a pet fat and lazy, or a guide fat and lazy for that matter. If you have a pet, though, nobody takes it away from you. You own it. The school has recourse even if you own the dog; and dogs will be taken away from blind people if it is observed that they are abusing them. It has been done. Also, animal rights advocates will trounce on you all of the time for even using a dog for a guide. If I have a pet dog and can retain ownership of it right off, then the same should be true of my guide dog. Any time a pet or guide or any service animal goes out to an owner, the is potential for abuse. I don't want to see that and it is sad, but the school's retaining ownership of that dog doesn't really solve that issue so much.

Cindy