[nagdu] bad handlers

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Fri Mar 16 23:18:50 UTC 2012

And, just to add a bit: I never, under any circumstances, let anyone pet my dog in harness. However, this is not due to some belief that those who do allow such are "wrong". Rather, Bailey is a bit more social than I would like him to be--he was puppy-raised in the same house as a lab and must have picked up some bad habits (just kidding everyone, don't kill me). Anyway, he is a bit more social than I would expect a shepherd to be. So, in order to curb or dampen his social tendencies, I am training him to view everyone as an obstacle that needs to be traversed. Part of that process is the dreaded "pet refusal". I also restrict peoples' access to him out of harness--I allow them to say hello to him. I will make sure that Bailey is sitting and I will invite the person to give him a friendly pat or stroke--nothing overly dramatic or affectionate. I have seen a lot of improvement--Bailey is less likely to investigate people sitting on the ground outside of classrooms, for example. I guess my point is--each handler should develop a policy that is best suited for the success of their team--if a dog is easily distracted by people or the prospect of being stroked, then maybe said handler should look into measures to curb that behavior. If a handler's dog has no problems with distractions and isn't too "people crazy", then maybe the handler will feel better about people interacting with their dog and will relax their policy. I have a policy that fits my needs and that of my relationship with my dog--other handlers should do the same.
Sincerely,
Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University