[nagdu] Happy Story

Lea williams leanicole1988 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 10:31:59 UTC 2012

Juanita

I think that your story is a good one to hear. Sometimes the first dog
is not a good match and it is better to try the second if you and the
first doesn't seem to be working out rather than to stick with the
first one and miss out on a better match.
I will keep this in mind for when I go to get my dog.
I want to come home with the best match possible and I am keeping my
mind fully open to what the school will match me with. At the same
time, if I feel as if the dog and I will not work well, i will talk it
over with the trainers and then go from there. I would hate to come
home with a dog that would have been better suited for someone else
and not give that other person the best dog for them because I did not
want to try to find the best dog for me.

On 3/25/12, Juanita Herrera <juanitaherrera1991 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All!
> As a lot of you know, I have only had my guide dog, Anise, for a
> little over two months. When I first received her, I was terribly
> afraid that things weren't going to work out with her and I. I was
> terrified because during training I had to switch dogs. The dog I had
> before Anise during training became afraid of heavy traffic, and she
> would run away from me while I was getting ready for  crossings. My
> instructor felt that it would be best to switch my dog because the
> areas I am usually in are congested with traffic. The switch between
> dogs was extremely difficult for me and it affected me emotionally.
> Upon leaving the program, I felt that the time I had spent with Anise
> wasn't enough to determine whether or not we'd be a successful match.
> However, GDB has supported me 100%. Immediately after I returned home
> from training, they sent my instructor to my home area to observe
> Anise and I, and to review any concerns I might have had. She was down
> in California working with me for a whole week, and I feel that helped
> me tremendously. My field representative has also kept in touch with
> me via phone, and just last week, Anise and I met up with him. He told
> me that we are doing great as a team, and that he didn't find any
> issues. Honestly, I feel that the switch between dogs was the best
> thing that could have happened. Although it hurt me when it happened
> now I realize that Anise was truly the dog for me. We are doing great
> with bonding, and we seem to be adjusting quite well to each other. As
> for the dog I had before Anise, I'd always have a difficult time
> controlling her. She would refuse to listen to me. Now, I realize that
> things happen for a reason. Well, just thought I'd share this with
> everyone.
> Best,
> Juanita And Anise

Lea Williams