[nagdu] Making a good impression with dogshoul

Lisa belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Sun May 13 17:24:51 UTC 2012

Hi, Debbie.  You need to explain to your boss that the harness alone isn't
what makes a guide dog a guide dog.

We learn leash guiding at GDF and are expected to use it in the building
while on class.  This means the dog is working, though not wearing a
harness.  I use this method to get Katy outside for her busy breaks and
usually use it when we're getting into a vehicle.  If I'm in public and I
need to go sighted guide, I'll drop Katy's harness handle and take the
leash.  I used to leash guide my last dog all over my workplace and no one
questioned whether or not the dog is a guide.

Technically, the dog doesn't need to be wearing a harness or any kind of
special identification for it to be a guide.  Your boss might be trying to
convince you otherwise for her own convenience.  this way she won't have to
take time to educate anyone who may be concerned.

Maybe a memo sent on your behalf from HR might help to alleviate some of the
confusion.

Lisa

Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly
proportional to the stupidity of your act!
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com