[nagdu] RE Air Travel with Guide Dogs

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Mon May 14 20:15:38 UTC 2012

I'm writing, after a long silence, because I think that coast-to-coast
flights can be especially challenging to older guides.  I've had several
guides, and I find that the older ones need to go outside more often to
urinate, even when inactive.  When I've ended a long flight with an older
guide, say from Seattle to Atlanta, my dog has been desperate.  He'd been
relieved just before the flight, had had minimal water and food, and had
taken a nonstop, red-eye flight to simulate a night's rest.  All the same

I felt compelled to hand my guide over to a TSA officer to take onto the
tarmac at the gate so Wilson could relieve while I waited inside, just to be
humane.  That's something I would never recommend to another.  No one should
be forced to separate from their guide dog.  Nonetheless, I saw no
alternative.

Pet stores do sell training pads for puppies and sick dogs.  These are
scented with pheromones that supposedly ease a dog's use of them for
relieving inside when needful.  They can be laid out on the floor in an
accessible bathroom stall during an airport lay-over, and, theoretically, a
dog can be trained to use them in a pinch.  Then these soiled pads can go
the way of dirty disposable diapers.

I'd purchased some of these for Wilson's longer flights, but he wouldn't
even step on them.

Training pads might be the answer to having to go through the nightmare of
repeated airport security checks on long trips.  But I'd recommend starting
early in the guide's career to get her used to them.

Just a thought.

But here's a question about guide dog air travel that I've never seen
discussed.

What about taking a guide down the emergency slide in the event of
emergency?  The instructions are there in the seat packet, but with seconds
in the balance, is this the time to learn?

God forbid that this event should befall a guide dog team, but I wonder if
we shouldn't be ready.

Are any guide dog instructors or school board members out there reading this
list who've pondered the question of emergency exit training?

Thanks.

Elizabeth