[nagdu] Saving Money

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Nov 4 16:07:20 UTC 2012

A tie down and dog bed are fine if that is your choice, but a tie down
is not the same as crate.  I prefer using a crate and if price was a
concern I'd look for used options, sales or start saving.

About dog beds...I have purchased one in the past, but I find an old
comforter folded up works just as well.  It is also a load easier to
toss in the washing machine and dryer.  The dog beds are large and tend
to make my washing machine off balance.  So I have to go shift the wet
and soapy stuff around so the machine will start up again.

You could bake your own dog biscuits if you give your dog treats.  There
are lots of recipes on the internet that use ordinary ingredients that
you probably already have.

The guide dog school will probably give you all the essentials to get
started, toy, leash, collar, harness, bowl, brush, teeth cleaning
supplies etc.  Most of these will be sufficient for the life of the
dog.  I bought stainless steel dog bowls I can't remember how long ago
and they don't show any signs of wearing out in the next 20 years at least.

I think food and veterinary care are the biggest expenses.  I wouldn't
cut corners on either of these. Some vets will give discounts and being
a member of IAADP has some good benefits that will help out with health
care.

Julie