[nagdu] Canada: Service-dog requirement divides district, woman

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 19:17:22 UTC 2012

Canada: Service-dog requirement divides district, woman

By: Nick Martin

Source:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/service-dog-requirement-divides-distr
ict-woman-180565871.html

Jennifer (Aunt Muffy) McDougall insists she has the right to take her
service dog anywhere at any time without restrictions or conditions,
including her new job as a cleaner at Arthur Meighen School in Portage la
Prairie.

No problem about the dog, says Hazen Barrett, superintendent of Portage la
Prairie School Division, as long as there's a short protocol in place to
educate everyone how and when McDougall and her dog will work when there
might be kids or adults around who are afraid of dogs or who are allergic.

No way, responds McDougall, that's discrimination.

And so the impasse stands.

McDougall, well-known in the area as the owner of Aunt Muffy's Hobby Farm
and Petting Zoo in Rossendale, 37 kilometres southwest of Portage, got a job
with the division as a cleaner last month. She was to clean eight hours a
day, when classes were not in session.

She didn't take the dog to her job interview or mention her need for the
dog, which helps McDougall overcome her hearing deficiencies when operating
noisy equipment.

"The body language alerts me when there are people around," she explained,
and the dog barks to let her know there's a phone or doorbell ringing, and
most crucially, if there's a fire alarm sounding.

McDougall said when she showed up on the job with her dog, a senior staff
member "approached me and said dogs aren't allowed in school. He said there
are children in school, that they could be allergic."

The dog is hypoallergenic, said McDougall.

"He said a protocol needs to be in place for me in order to have the dog at
work, in order for me to be employed," said McDougall. "I packed up my stuff
and left with the dog."

Barrett said that the service dog and McDougall are welcome if she chooses
to return to work.

"We have no issue with any employee who has a service dog," Barrett said.
"It would be a valuable experience to have a service dog there."

However, Barrett said the division wanted to work out an understanding of
how McDougall and the dog would do their job if children and adults who were
afraid of dogs or allergic to dogs were in the building after school, or if
events were held in the school in the evening. People need to be taught
about service dogs and how to treat them, he said.

"We're well aware of the human rights expectations. She won't meet with us,"
said Barrett. "We need to do some groundwork preparing people, so they know
how to react to (the dog).

"When a student comes in who needs accommodation, schools are given some
time to prepare," Barrett pointed out.

Both parties in a dispute are obliged to explore all options and work out
accommodations, said Yvonne Peters, vice-chairwoman of the Manitoba Human
Rights Commission.

"In some cases, they may need evidence. You really need to substantiate what
the concern is," said Peters, who is blind and has a service dog.

Peters said it would be inappropriate for her to hear details about the
Portage case, which might end up in front of the commission, but said that
in general, employers must prove undue hardship before placing restrictions
on a service dog.

If someone is allergic, they must present a medical certificate. A
job-seeker does not need to disclose a disability, Peters said --
accommodation gets discussed after the person is judged to be suitable for
the job.

"If there is a restriction, it has to be based on concrete evidence," not on
speculation or possibilities, said Peters. "We talk about reasonable
accommodation."

There is also responsibility on the part of a person using a service dog to
educate people that it is a highly trained working dog, Peters said.

nick.martin at freepress.mb.ca