[nagdu] talking to landlord about guide dogs

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Nov 26 01:48:04 UTC 2012

I'm thinking if you are needing an alteration of the rules that you need
to let the landlord know that.    I don't think you need to make it a
question that's up for debate or like you are seeking their approval,
but it is a reasonable accommodation that needs to be communicated.

When I moved in with my now husband into what was then his apartment, he
just told the landlord that I would be moving in and that I had a guide
dog.  It wasn't a problem. I lived in a different town and was only
there on the weekends, so it didn't work for me to speak to her
directly.  Also he already had a friendly working relationship with her
so it made sense for him to approach the subject.

I think I'd wait until I had a definite date for the arrival of the dog
though.  A lot can happen and it makes no sense to me to do anything
until the details are confirmed.  then you can let the landlord know the
date the dog will be arriving and request any other accommodations you
might need related to the dog.  I'm specifically thinking of a relieving
area if you'll be needing to work that out.

If you're on good terms with the landlord and you think there won't be a
problem, I'd just talk to him/her about it.  If I was uncertain about
the reception of my news I think I'd put the whole thing in writing.  If
I anticipated difficulties I'd put the whole thing in writing, with
applicable laws, letterhead from the guide dog program if available and
send it signature required so I had proof I sent it.  I tend to start
with the least complicated approach and work up if it becomes necessary.

HTH
Julie