[nagdu] newspaper practice at TSE was Re: First dog concerns

Tina Thomas judotina48kg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 14:47:48 UTC 2012

Hello Jenny-
First of all a leash correction would be inappropriate and ineffective in
teaching a dog traffic training. Seeing Eye does use a soft foam bopper with
a foam ball attached to it. Now if the dog gets to close to the moving
object, the dog gets a bop on the nose. A leash correction would not work in
this situation for many reasons, one being that it would be too little to
late and both handler and dog would be seriously injured and or killed.
Also, I have seen  a common trend amongst dog handlers these days where the
dog is held responsible for every infraction that takes place with the team.
Now I don't know if this is due to poor O&M/cane skills or lack of
confidence  on the part of the handlers, but I find this to be very
disturbing. Situations such as crossing a street and dealing with on coming
traffic is a everyday occurrence no matter if using a cane and or dog. Think
about it like this if one is crossing the street with a cane and a car is
coming at you and you have the walk signal,  what  would be your natural
reaction. Well the same concept applies with crossing the street with a dog.
Now there are certain intersections that have turn lanes as well as right on
red is legal, so we as handlers have to know what kinds of intersections we
will encounter as well as use our hearing as well as good judgment when
crossing streets and not just depend on the dog to bail us out if we make a
bad call. The dog is not human nor are they backups for poor travel skills.
We are a team and sometimes we due make bad calls and the dog can assist us
either by  backing up in the street and or not coming off the curb when
given the forward command. This is why I believe that O&M/cane  travel
skills are invaluable.
As for Seeing Eye's method on traffic training it is appropriate and very
affective and top notch and it's going to stay that way.  Also, SE would
never send someone home with a dog who exhibited traffic fears no matter how
big or small. That dog would be career changed.
Tina and K