[nagdu] Veterinary assistance

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 04:22:08 UTC 2013

As an owner trainer, I am responsible for all veterinary costs for my guide
dogs. Yes, I have 2 guides. 1 is still in training and they both get enough
work to justify having them both.I also have several retired service dogs
and 1pet dog. 6 dogs in all.I also have 2 elderly cats and 2 elderly
Bearded Dragons. All of which need frequent vet care. I just budget every
month for this,put money on account at the vet's office and do without
things sometimes. I have chosen to have these animals and therefore,I have
that responsibility. I will not increase the number of animals I have now
because I can not afford any more. I am at the limit of what I can
afford.Thankfully,there is an organization here called People For Animals
that will help people with vet expenses. I have had them help me several
times when my previous guide needed emergency surgery. I have always paid
them back for what they have paid out to the vet and I have made donations
to them.I think that most people who decide to have a guide are willing to
take on the responsibility of vet care,but I also know that some times an
emergency can come at a bad time and if financial assistance is
available,so much the better.I do realize that even though I live on a
fixed income,I do have more money coming in than a lot of other people.Some
can only afford 1 dog. I think it is a good thing that vet assistance is
available through some schools as some people might not otherwise be able
to have a guide dog.Of course, this is just my humble opinion.PS, I also
foster rescue dogs,but the owner of the rescue takes care of their vet
expenses.  Have a great day. Mardi and Shaman and Neechee,GDIT.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/