[nagdu] An answer for ann

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Thu Apr 25 21:26:07 UTC 2013

Hi, Ken,

Panda is 29 inches tall and weighs about 125 pounds.  To put it in
perspective, my brother just got a German shepherd guide dog from The Seeing
Eye which is 27 inches tall, but weighs only about 70 or 75 pounds.  Guide
horses do take up a bit more space than a guide dog, but there are some
Great Dane service dogs for people with mobility impairments which are 36
inches tall and probably weigh as much as Panda.

When I mentioned Panda, I did not intend to put down guide dogs or guide dog
handlers in any way.  It is just a reality that dogs do not live very long
compared to horses or humans.  So when we partner with a guide dog and truly
bond with that amazing individual, we also have to take on the reality of
the fact that we will most probably sooner than later have to experience the
loss of that beloved partner and traveling companion.  I found these
transition periods difficult both emotionally and in terms of my mobility.
So the guide horse was an experiment I wanted to pursue.  But it is
certainly not for everyone, and has its own limitations and complications.

Best,
Ann