[nagdu] working up to obstacles

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Apr 30 15:35:54 UTC 2013

It's interesting how different dogs work so differently. I taught Monty to
take me up to an obstacle so I would know what it was.  Then I could make a
decision of where to go next.  Somehow since that initial training Monty has
decided that we need to go around without the stopping to investigate part.
If there is no obvious way around, without going into the street, he will
stop and wait for me to decide, but we could be 15 feet away.  So generally
I make a couple of suggestions on direction before Monty agrees to one.  If
there's a way to easily go around an obstacle, through the grass or
whatever, Monty will automatically go around without any prompting from me.
It works.  I just thought it might be an odd way of working, but from what
I'm hearing from everyone, maybe it's not so odd.

About the power lines...I don't think Monty would get anywhere near enough
for me to make contact.  I would think you would be able to hear a humming
noise.  No idea how close you'd have to be though and I don't think I want
to find out.

Julie