[nagdu] Guide Dogs in Condo swimming pools.

Doug Parisian eggmann at mymts.net
Sat Aug 3 23:29:00 UTC 2013

Well, other than doggie play time, I'm not sure I would take my dog into any
kind of a swimming pool.  This has nothing to do with any chemicals; if they
won't hurt me, why should they hurt my dog.

One reason for not taking most dogs into a pool is that some may have a
difficult time getting out unless they have either been trained or can
manage the climb over the edge, or know how to use exit ladders and/or
ramps.

The exception might be if said dog can help master find the side when
necessary.  Some blind folks lose orientation in the water; due to water in
the ears, being in almost a horizontal position, etc.

My black lab always went in the water with me at beaches.  All I had to do
when I wanted the shore was to lie in a dead man's float, and Miss Payton
would offer herself either as a "shore nudger," or a canine tow boat.  The
only problem was, that if I didn't hold onto her after exiting the water,
she'd look for someone else to tow in.  She one time tried fetching me a
canoe with two girls in it' damn smart and understanding dog.

on one occasion, even though it was obvious what the dog was doing in the
water with me, some over-testeroned life guard decided to test out his
authority.  He was almost lynched by others on the beach who were impressed
with my canine life guard who I would have trusted much more than some
over-grown child with a desperate need to impress the girls.

Doug: me and my dog fish.