[nagdu] how to choose toothbrush/toothpaste for dog brushing

minh ha minh.ha927 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 16:44:28 UTC 2013

Hi Janice,

When I was at GDB, they recommend that we brush our dog's teeth daily,
but I thought this was a little excessive. My dog likes to chew on her
bones all the time and this helps to get rid of any tarter that builds
up on her teeth. I brush her teeth every couple of weeks or so just to
help with breath odors. The finger brushes are super nice because they
give you a lot more control in their mouths. I found a really nice one
at Petsmart that has a round thing at the bottom so you can grip it in
your palm as opposed to the traditional finger brush that just goes
over the tip of your finger. It's worked out really well because I
don't feel like it's going to slip off my finger and go down her
throat. As for toothpaste, you can get a simple one that has the
necessary enzymes to break down the tarter; I have a chicken flavored
one and Viva absolutely loves it. She doesn't really like me brushing
her teeth, but one technique I use is I kind of hold her nose shut so
she'll open up her mouth and I rub the toothpaste over her teeth. It's
good if you can actually brush the teeth, but they say it's enough if
you spread the toothpaste over them because the enzymes will do its
job. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Minh