[nagdu] how much is too much?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Aug 11 19:31:41 UTC 2013

Julie,

Huh. I think it would have been appropriate for you to ask the woman to
please remove her dog, or to ask the restaurant to deal with the
problem. I also think that would be freaking awkward, so I'm don't think
I will say that's what you *should* have done. Seems to me it would be
sort of a gamble as to whether it would resolve the problem of your not
being able to enjoy the nice meal you were paying for instead of just
having more hassle. The management of the other dog is not your
responsibility; the management of the restaurant is not your
responsibility... I suppose it would also depend on just how disruptive
the vocalizations and all were to your ability to enjoy your meal.

I do think the other handler was out of line, especially if the waitress
was correct that it was a therapy dog as opposed to a service dog in
training. Either way, though, if you're going to take a dog-in-training
into public, then you need to be prepared to take responsibility when it
turns out said dog just isn't ready for that. It's not easy balancing
the need to give your dog the exposure and training it needs with the
public's right to not have an obnoxious heinous beast to cope with. But
half an hour of vocal disruption is too much, I think, to inflict on
those around you. Also, it's a pretty big clue that your pup just isn't
ready for the environment.

I'm curious, though. Could you determine if it was, as the waitress
said, a therapy dog as opposed to a service dog in training? So many
people these days use the terms interchangeably that who knows what
they're ever talking about.

Was this an owner-trainer, or someone training for a program of some sort?

Did the bit about having to wait until 12 months to start training seem
odd to you? It could just be the wording, and frame of reference, but
that part kinda struck me as, well, interesting. /smile/

Those points aren't really relevant, since the dog's behavior was
disruptive and not successfully dealt with.

Tami