[nagdu] Outside the Box

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Aug 16 17:02:25 UTC 2013

Ken,

Oh, that would be too easy! /lol/ There are some pretty clear guidelines
for what is considered inappropriate behavior on the DOJ Fact Sheet and
the ADA Q&A. I found it interesting to note that one or the other states
that barking is not cause for legal removal. Hm... Well, dogs do bark. I
would not want one that came into my business to just sit and bark its
fool head off without cease, that's for sure! But a bark or two that is
successfully quieted is not the same.

The training programs have done a really great job, I think, of
developing rules and a sense of etiquette and teaching their grads to
use good etiquette in public. Owner-trainers use those same guidelines
in training and handling their own dogs. Well, most do; just as most
program grads do. The point of having the service dog is to make life
easier; public ruckus defeats that goal. So one is pretty motivated to
do the extra work to achieve the goal by ensuring the dog is fit to be
in public.

Still... You have me wondering if it would be useful to sort of write up
a list of rules of etiquette? Two barks, you're out... Or maybe three
barks, like baseball! /lol/

I dunno... To so many of the guide and other service dog users I know,
the etiquette seems so obvious... And it flows from a simple sense of
responsibility. But maybe an Emily Post kinda thing would help more of
us do better?

Would something like a list of guidelines also be useful in educating
businesses, JQP (John Q. Public), et al., as well? Hm...

You may be on to something!

Tami