[nagdu] Dogs at work

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Dec 2 15:37:54 UTC 2013

Barb,

There are relatively few situations in which an employer could legally
require you to crate your dog away from you while you are at work. The
employer is required to make reasonable accommodations for the dog,
unless the presence of the dog causes a direct threat to the health and
safety of others or it causes undue hardship. Um... Others can quote the
exact phrasing better, but that's it in general as I understand it.

Unless there is some real compelling reason for your boss's position, I
would think he/she is not being legal.

It might help to give more specific answers if we knew more about your
work environment. Do you work at a desk or counter? Is there a place for
the dog near where you do your work or most of it? A lot of people will
keep the dog under their desk, unless they have their own office and can
have a bed or crate for the dog. In other environments, I've heard of
some fairly creative solutions. But the dog should be near you where you
can keep an eye on it and manage it, where you can use it as needed, and
in case of emergency.

It seems a lot of the schools have people who can assist with
access-related issues, as well, so that might be of help when you get a dog.

Good luck!

Tami