[nagdu] Airline travel and cold weather

Craig Heaps craig.heaps at comcast.net
Sun Dec 8 22:10:10 UTC 2013

Chase and I made our trip from San Francisco to Milwaukee and back during
Thanksgiving week.

Thanks to all of you for your advice about ariline travel and cold weather.

Chase did really well on both flights.  I decided to use a window seat and
put him under the seat in front of me.  After some shifting around and
scrounging for peanuts and other debris, he settled in and mostly slept.  We
went through the TSA with varying degrees of convenience.  At SFO, it was
reallly busy and they had trouble finding a person to pat me down and swab
my hands because of my insulin pump.  As a result, the easiest solution was
for my wife to take Chase through the metal detector and wait for me.  In
Milwauke, we were randomly chosen for the TSA Precheck program.  So we
didn't have to take our shoes or jackets off.  Chase and I both clear the
metal detector.  Someone was waiting to swab my hands.  It was a breeze.
I'll be singing up for Precheck when it's widely available next year.

In Milwaukee, we stayed at the Hyatt Redency downtown.  Chase slept on the
extra blanket from the closet.  I relieved him in the parking garage next
door.  It was a nice covered place out of the wind.  The 20-to-30 degree F
temps didn't bother Chase at all.

He also had a great time playing with our son's dog in the loft where my son
and his wife live.    I used the alley next to my son's building to releive
Chase too.  It had some dumpsters nearby that worked for the bags of poop.

All in all a good trip, due in large part to the advice all of you game me.

Thanks again.

Craig and Chase