[nagdu] over-the-harness coat

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Dec 9 13:21:02 UTC 2013

Actually, I purchased Monty's coat from a lady who does custom made coats.  I think her business was called Cozy Horse.  I'm not at the computer, so I can't look up the exact address.  She mostly does horse coats, but there is a decent selection of dog coats.  she was easy to work with and the coat is exactly what I had wanted.

I am sewing a coat for Jetta right now though.  I looked at fabric and got really overwhelmed with the project.  I was going to use a fake leather, actually plastic, for the outer shell and fleece for the lining.  then I worried it wouldn't be warm enough, so I was going to add in quilt batting for extra warmth.  It was at about that point that I realized that the project was beyond my sewing skills.

A friend of mine who runs a dog boarding place had a coat that someone gave to her and no one was using it.  So I got a basic windbreaker type of coat for free.  It isn't nearly heavy enough.  My son had a lining from a coat of his that he wasn't using and was never going to use.  It's sorta like fake fur and rather cheesy, but warm.  So I am using that to sew into Jetta's coat to make it warmer.  I worked on it yesterday and I think it's going to work.  Of course hers doesn't need the cut out for the handle, so that makes it much easier.

Short haired dogs are easy to brush and keep clean, but the winter does present some challenges!

Julie

Sent from my iPad